Sep 12, 2011

Ripping Off a Bandage


"On Monday we'll get rid of the small comics", I decided and told the assistant last Friday. Small comics means the Japanese comics (or Korean, whatever). We will only keep special comics, I was so sure. Special comics means comics like Tintin, etc.

Frankly, ReadingWalk is running out of space. I need to make sure we use it as efficient as possible. Small comics take quite much space and for now is not as profitable as the other categories. So I was certain, they all have to go (at least for now).

Then Monday came. As the assistant was preparing the boxes, I was frozen between the shelfs. I looked at the comics and surprised that it was a somewhat emotional moment for me. Most of them were our first collections. I remember my partner and I walked around dusty book shops, tried to find some comics that were still in good condition. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. We picked some then we discussed, debated, argued, which ones should we bought. After we agreed then we begged for discounts. After some fake tears, we dragged the 10 kg comics to the car. And it's always a very hot day. I always felt like I was dried to the bones.

So this morning I felt the urge to keep them there. For old time sake!
But I need space, I told myself.
Well you can get rid some and keep some, myself replied back.
That's a good idea, I agreed.

So I started to divide them: STAY and LEAVE. But then it got harder. I couldn't keep some and throw the others. What are the criteria to make a comic stays or leaves? What makes one better than the other? I was shattered.

I took a deep breath and retold myself the decision I had made last week: they all have to go.
Quickly I took them all out. Quick quick quick, before I changed my mind. Luckily I only needed to take them out. The assistant did the rest. Now they're all packed in boxes. Happily. I hope.

Sometimes, it's not difficult to decide. The tricky part is in the execution. I knew the decision was right yet I was reluctant to execute. I tried to re-decide. In this case I think the best way to do it is to do it as quickly as possible and don't give emotion a chance to response. Like ripping off a bandage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Humor me. Drop some comment.

The Other Blog

Dear all, This blog is not going to be updated often as I have created another one at www.floresianay.wordpress.com which will be focusi...