Aug 24, 2011

Rivalry

I have been wondering something for a while: do human have tendency to set someone to be rivals for themselves?

I had a conversation about this with my girls. Of course, because we are girls so the context at that time was setting a rival in your relationship. Here are what I got:
a. When we're in a relationship we often, if not always, unconsciously pick someone to be the object of rivalry.
b. The objects could be anyone. 'Normal' choices are our partners' best friends, exes, co-workers, team mates. 'Less normal' choices: our partners' moms, sisters.

However, when the question was asked: "do you feel that this rival has the potential to steal away your significant other?", the answer is not always a "yes". It seems that we only look for the thrill of competing with other people. I know, it really sounds like we love drama. Frankly, I think we do.

Maybe it's not a sign of insecurity but only the need to fight for something. Though I must admit that I probably didn't do a good job at picking my samples. My girls are type A people. By nature they enjoy struggling for higher aims and making their lives harder than most people. Me, I am just trapped at the wrong place wrong time with these people.
Shortly, this is a non-random sampling.

So back to rivalry. Do you think we really have tendency to pick someone, anyone, to be our rivals?

4 comments:

  1. Iya. Dulu. Eh apa sekarang masih ya? dan setuju.. bukan karena merasa insecure tapi karena i need drama. hahahaha. eh tapi kadang karena soal insecure juga.. dengan alasan yang tepat. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. "By nature they enjoy struggling for higher aims and making their lives harder than most people."

    Hahahahahaha. Siauuul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @iyra: itulah mengapa sinetron laku. karena manusia butuh drama. ahahaha.

    @bat: kekekekek. kesepet bat? :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. As upsetting as it can be for a parent, conflict between siblings is very common..

    ReplyDelete

Humor me. Drop some comment.

The Other Blog

Dear all, This blog is not going to be updated often as I have created another one at www.floresianay.wordpress.com which will be focusi...